What happens if you lose your V5

What happens if you lose your V5
Losing important documents can be frustrating, especially if you need them for a time-sensitive task. However, there’s no need to panic. In most cases, it’s fairly easy to get replacement documents.

The steps you need to take and the associated costs will vary depending on the document that you’ve lost.For example, if you’ve lost your car log book, you’ll need to apply for a duplicate from the DVLA.

There is a fee for this service, but it’s typically quite reasonable. On the other hand, if you’ve lost your insurance documents, you should be able to get replacements from your insurer at no cost.So, don’t worry too much if you have a missing v5. With a little effort, you can contact the dvla and request a v5.

What happens if you lose your v5

It is pretty straightforward when getting a replacement V5C. A lost car vehicle log book can be replaced by submitting an online application with the DVLA at GOV.UK.

You can replace your lost log book for your vehicle online by providing the following information: (Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details)

  • Registration number
  • Your vehicle’s VIN/chassis number
  • Your logbook’s name and postcode

If there are any updates to the original log book, it can become more complicated. The V5C cannot be replaced online if your personal details or the vehicle information has changed.Form V62 must be used to apply by post, which must be sent to the DVLA in Swansea.You should receive your new log book in six weeks, according to the DVLA. In comparison, it could take five working days on average with a standard online application.

By calling DVLA Vehicle Enquiries on 0300 790 6802, you can apply to replace a lost log book over the phone. Please be aware that this method can take several weeks.

A car log book is important when you are trying to sell your car. Even though you can sell your car without a V5C, it might be difficult.

How to scrap your car

Below is a quick summary of how to scrap your old or classic vehicle

  • Look online for a scrap car companies
  • Get a few quotes so you can find the best one
  • Accept the best quote & arrange a free scrap car collection
  • Provide the scrap car dealer with id. see what kind of photo ID you need to scrap a car
  • Get a receipt from the scrap car dealer
  • Give them the V5 registration document retaining section 9. Complete section 9 of the V5C document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) and send it to the DVLA
  • Contact your insurance company who will cancel the policy and provide you with a refund for any months of unused insurance and the dvla regarding car tax
  • You will receive a certificate of destruction within 7 days

Get a Free Scrap Car Quote

Can I Scrap My Car Without My V5C?

Anyone who has owned a car knows that the V5C, or Vehicle Registration Certificate, is an important document. It proves that you are the legal owner of the vehicle and is required for a number of purposes, from renewing your car insurance to changing the car’s registration details. So what happens if you have lost your V5C? Can you still scrap your car?

The good news is that scrapping a car without a v5 is possible. However, there are a few steps you need to take so we can proceed with scrapping your car in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. You will need to notify the DVLA in writing that you have sold the car and include our details as the buyer.

The DVLA needs to know:

  • Your details eg driving licence number
  • The vehicle details (registration number, make, model)
  • Our details
  • The date of sale (from you to us)

The DVLA will then update their records and you will no longer be considered the registered keeper of the vehicle. So if you’re wondering “do I need my V5C to scrap my car?”, the answer is no. If you have any questions, please call the DVLA 0300 790 6802

Can you scrap a car without a log book?

Certainly. Logbooks, Vehicle Registration Documents, and V5Cs are all the same thing, so it is indeed possible to scrap your car without a logbook. You’ll still need to notify the DVLA in writing, including your name and address, your registration number, the make and model of your car, the date of sale, and to whom you sold it.

Additionally, it’s a good idea to inform the scrap car buyer ahead of time, so that they can make sure all the paperwork is handled by their end.

Are there penalties for not having a log book?

Penalties relating to not having a log book typically arise when you have sold your car privately & the new owner of a vehicle obtains driving penalties, and the car is still registered under the previous owners. In this case, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) may think that it was actually the previous owner who incurred the penalties. There is also the potential for a penalty of up to £1,000 if any details in the log book change and the DVLA is not promptly updated. These penalties underscore the importance of promptly transferring ownership details and ensuring that all information in the log book is accurate and up-to-date.

Is there a fee for a replacement log book?

Replacing a lost or stolen logbook is not free of charge even if you have lost your v5  form and changed address. It is free to replace your V5 online if you want to change your address. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) charges £15 for a replacement, which must be ordered via bank transfer or you can pay online credit or debit card. You can do this online or by telephone. However, if you already have your current logbook and do not need any of the information on the replacement certificates, you are not required to purchase them. This cost is simply for the replacement log book online. Therefore, if you have misplaced your logbook or it has been stolen, be aware that there is a fee associated with replacing it.

How long does it take to get a replacement V5?

It may take several weeks to get a replacement V5 if you apply via mail. The time it takes motorists to apply online for a duplicate log book (V5C) has been slashed from up to six weeks weeks to just 5 days. However, if you need an urgent v5 replacement, you can visit a DVLA office in person and order replacement log book via their same day service. There is a £25 fee for this service, but it will ensure that you receive your replacement V5C within 24 hours. In most cases, however, applying for a replacement V5C online or by post will be the quickest and most convenient option.

Call us today on 07944 495 495 for your free estimate
Scrap Cars London
Scrap 4x4s London
Scrap Vans London
Scrap Commercial Vehicles London