Can I scrap my car without a logbook?

You can scrap a car without a log book but the procedure involves more work. If you are not in a rush you could apply to the DVLA for a replacement V5C logbook for £25. If you do not want to order a new logbook and need to tell the dvla your scrapped car has no  logbook follow the steps below.

  • Go to our scrap car quote form above
  • Get one of our excellent quotes
  • Accept our quote & arrange a free scrap car collection
  • Provide the scrap car dealer with 2 forms of id (1 photo id) eg a driving license & a utility bill (No more than 3 months old)
  • Get a receipt from the scrap car dealer and get payment via a bank transfer
  • Write a letter to the DVLA informing them that your car has been scrapped (We have a sample letter below)
  • Contact your insurance company and cancel your policy
  • You will receive a certificate of destruction within 7 days

If you can’t find my log book contact scrap car kings now. We make the process of scrapping your car as easy as possible

Get a Free Scrap Car Quote

Why you need a vehicle logbook

Your vehicle logbook, AKA your ‘V5C’, is a four-page paper document issued to you by the DVLA in relation to your vehicle. Your vehicle logbook, AKA your ‘V5C’, is a four-page paper document issued to you by the DVLA in relation to your vehicle. In order to scrap a car, its very helpful to have a valid V5C vehicle registration certificate (also known as a log book). This is because the V5C proves that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and, as such, are legally entitled to scrap it.

It’s not uncommon for vehicle owners to misplace or even lose their logbooks, because it’s not a document that you have to call upon day-to-day – just when big changes happen.

The V5C is very helpful if you’re trying to sell your car to a new owner, but what about if you’re simply scrapping your car? We clarify everything below for you, but here’s a spoiler: scrapping your car is possible even if you don’t have your logbook.

Scrap a car without a logbook

Scrapping a car without a v5 requires you to prepare a letter before the scrap dealer arrives and get them to fill out the necessary sections. (Sample letter below)

Dear DVLA,

I am writing to inform you that I have sold my car to a scrap dealer. The following are the details of the sale or transfer:

Date of Sale/Transfer
Scrap Dealer’s Name
Scrap Dealer’s Address
Scrap Dealer’s VAT Number
My Signature
Scrap Dealer’s Signature

This letter should be sent to:
SA99 1AR.
Thank you for your time.

Get a Free Scrap Car Quote

Can i scrap a car without a title

If you’re looking to scrap your car, you might be wondering whether you need the car title (also known as the V5C log book, vehicle log book or vehicle registration document) in order to do so. The answer is that it depends on the scrap dealer. Some scrap dealers will require you to have the log book in order to scrap your car, as they need proof that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. However, other scrap dealers may not require the log book, as they can check the vehicle’s registration details online using the DVLA website. If you’re unsure whether you need the log book or not, it’s best to contact the scrap car dealer before attempting to scrap your car.

What exactly is a ‘V5C’/logbook for?

It is a common misconception that the logbook is one permanent document that passes from owner to owner through a vehicle’s lifetime to prove who owns it at that time – that is not the case. Each new owner gets a revised version of the logbook, and then another revised version each time they change address.

It’s also crucial to reiterate that the logbook is not proof of ownership: it merely states who is responsible for registering and taxing the vehicle and contains details such as vehicle registration number

What does it look like?

It is multi-coloured, with the top half of the first page being predominantly red and therefore very noticeable.

What information does it hold?

Plenty, but here is the main gist of it:

  • The car registration number (as in, the number plate)
  • When the car was first registered
  • How many former owners the car has had
  • The vehicle’s technical details (e.g. make, model, variant, version, fuel-type and so on)
  • The current keeper’s name and address

Why is the vehicle logbook important to me as a vehicle owner looking to scrap my car?

Most people, when buying a used car, want to know that they’re buying it from the right person and that they have a clear log of that car’s history. Otherwise, they don’t know what exactly they’re buying.

It’s helpful to buyers because it immediately gives them important information such as how many people have owned it, how long it has been on the road, whether it has been modified from its original state (including repainted) and plenty more little details.

Without your V5C handy, you might struggle to sell your car to many potential buyers.

However, when scrapping your vehicle, you’re essentially selling it to be scrapped for parts to a scrap yard – you’re not selling it on to someone else who intends to use it as a reliable vehicle – so all of that historical information doesn’t really matter. The car is at the end of its lifespan, and that’s that.

So can I scrap my car without the V5C or not?

Yes, you can scrap your car without your logbook, because it isn’t a legal requirement. Be warned, though, that it is just a bit more of a complicated process than if you had retained the logbook.

Depending on how much money your chosen scrapping company has quoted you as a price for your vehicle, it may actually be worth applying for a new V5C from then DVLA – because it only costs £25, and then the process will be simpler for you.

I’ve lost my logbook – what should I do?

As mentioned above, you can proceed to scrap your vehicle without your logbook, or you can get a replacement log book for £25; it’s simply up to you whether you want to pay that £25.

I bought the car secondhand and never had the logbook in the first place – what should I do?

Again, you can rectify this by just applying for a new one from the DVLA, or you can skip this process and go the slightly more convoluted route (more about that below).

Can you tax a car without a v5 to take it to the scrap yard
If you have an end of life vehicle and you want to tax it to take it to a scrap yard , you will need to request a new log book from the DVLA. This is because the v5 car document is needed to tax a car. When you request a new log book, you need to provide the DVLA with the following information: your name and address, the car’s registration number, and the reason why you’re scrapping the car. If there’s outstanding finance on the car, you’ll also need to provide proof that this has been paid off. Once you have all of this information, you can then scrap your car.

So how exactly do I go about scrapping my car without the V5C?

First and foremost, you must make sure that you scrap your car through what’s known as an ‘Authorised Treatment Facility’ (ATF) – in other words, through a reputable scrapping company like ourselves.

If you go through an unauthorised company for whatever reason, you will be breaking the law and therefore open yourself up to numerous fines.

An ATF will do everything the right way, liaising with the DVLA to issue you with a Certificate of Destruction within seven days.

Is the Certificate of Destruction important?

Yes, very.

The Certificate of Destruction proves to you that the ATF has indeed scrapped the vehicle and notified the DVLA, rather than surreptitiously repairing it and selling it on to a new owner.

Going through an ATF should mean that everything is going to be done legally and you aren’t being misled, but it’s better for your peace of mind if you clarify beforehand with the scrapping company that you will get a CoD.

It is the DVLA who issues the Certificate of Destruction – the ATF is just the intermediary – so once you have the document, you know the vehicle is genuinely destroyed and you are no longer the registered keeper.

Make it easy with Scrap Car Kings

We are an ATF operating across London, Essex and Kent, and can scrap your car for you even if you don’t have the logbook, documents or service history for whatever reason. We do everything above board, following best practices to the letter, and will issue you with your Certificate of Destruction within seven days.

Get a quick online quote from us to see the most competitive price for your vehicle, and if you’re happy with it, we’ll pay you upfront and then come to collect it from you.

Can I sorn a car without a logbook?

Alot of people ask the question ‘I never received my log book, can i scrap it?’ It’s actually quite easy to SORN a car without a V5C (logbook). You can do it online by using your V5C.

The whole process only takes a few minutes, and you’ll be able to get a vehicle tax refund & avoid having to pay road tax while your car is off the road.

All you need to do is go to the DVLA website and fill out the relevant form. Once you’ve submitted the form, you’ll receive confirmation that your car is now SORNed.

It’s important to remember that you’ll need to renew your SORN each year, otherwise you’ll be liable for paying road tax. So if you’re not planning on using your car for a while, make sure you keep on top of things and don’t let your SORN lapse.

Call us today on 07944 495 495 for your free estimate
Scrap Cars London
Scrap 4x4s London
Scrap Vans London
Scrap Commercial Vehicles London