What documents do I need to scrap my car?

What documents do I need to scrap my car

Documents needed to scrap your car

  1. Photo ID and proof of address
  2. V5 registration document (vehicle logbook)
  3. V5C/3
  4. A pre-prepared letter if you have lost your v5 and v5c registration document.
  5. Original bill of sale if you have lost your v5 and v5c registration document

How to scrap a car

Scrapping a car can be a difficult decision. On the one hand, it may be emotional to let go of a car that has been with you for years. On the other hand, it may be financially difficult to keep up with repairs on an older car. Ultimately, deciding is it worth scrapping a car depends on each individual situation.
Below is a quick summary of what to do to scrap a car

  • Look online for a scrap car companies
  • Go onto a scrap car quote form and enter your vehicle details & car details. Get a few quotes so you can find the best one
  • Accept the best quote & arrange a free scrap car collection
  • Provide the scrap car dealer with id eg a driving license
  • Get paid via a bank transfer & get a receipt from the scrap car dealer
  • Give them the V5 registration document retaining section 9. Complete section 9 of the V5C document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) and send it to the DVLA
  • Contact your insurance company who will cancel the policy and provide you with a refund for any months of unused insurance
  • You will receive a certificate of destruction within 7 days

Get a Free Scrap Car Quote

What ID do I need to scrap a car?

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 was put in place to help prevent car crime. The act requires individuals who scrap cars to provide the authorised treatment facility (ATF) with a photo ID, such as a passport or driving licence, as well as proof of address such as a utility bill.

This legislation helps to ensure that only reputable scrap dealers are used, thus hindering any dishonest dealings from taking place. Using a reputable scrap dealer is important not only to receive a fair price for your car but also to ensure that your personal information is kept safe.

Copies of your documents will be held on file by the Authorised treatment facility, so you must choose a dealer that you can trust.

V5 registration documents

A vehicle registration document, also known as a logbook, is an essential document when scrapping your car. It proves that the car belongs to the person selling it and makes the scrapping process much easier. It is also a preventative measure against unauthorised sales of your vehicle.

The V5C registration document is commonly supplied by car owners to the scrap car dealer when scrapping their vehicles. It can let the DVLA know you’ve scrapped your car. If you’ve lost your V5 certificate and would like to replace it, you can do so by applying to the DVLA, which will send you a new one for a fee of £25.

Therefore, it is important to keep track of your vehicle registration document to avoid any complications when scrapping your car and claiming back unused road tax.


The V5C/3 is an important document when scrapping your car. This is the yellow slip from your vehicle registration document that you must give to the scrap car dealer. They will need to fill out their details so this can be sent to the DVLA. You must keep your receipt from the scrap car dealer as well.

Do I need to fill any documents in when scrapping?

The number 1 question we are asked is “What do i do with v5 when i scrap my car?” When you sell your car to a scrap dealer, you need to notify the DVLA that the car has been sold and will be scrapped so that they can pass full responsibility for the vehicle to the scrap car dealer.

The way to do this is by filling out section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019). You will need to fill in the date of the sale, as well as the name and address of the scrap yard who is collecting your car.

If you are unsure what to fill in, the collection driver will be happy to help. Once you have filled out the form, you will need to detach the slip from the rest of the V5C and post it to the DVLA address that you will find on the back of the form. The person who is collecting your car will take the remainder of the form with them.

I don’t have a V5C can I still scrap my car?

You don’t require a V5C to scrap your vehicle. With that said, the process is made a little more difficult. You can replace the V5C document by contacting the DVLA and paying a fee of £25, or you can write to the DVLA to inform them that you have sold your car to a registered ATF as scrap.

Our scrap a car without a logbook guide will show you the exact process, complete with all of the necessary paperwork. However, we understand that not everyone wants to go through the hassle of dealing with the DVLA.

That’s why we’re happy to buy cars without a V5C document. We’ll take care of all of the paperwork for you, and we’ll even pick up your car from any location in the UK. So if you’re ready to get rid of your old car, give us a call today. We’ll make sure that the whole process is quick, easy, and stress-free.

What happens if I don’t return the V5C to the DVLA?

Failing to return your V5C log book to the DVLA can have a number of consequences. Firstly, the DVLA will not have up-to-date records of who is responsible for each vehicle on UK roads. This can lead to mix-ups and misunderstandings, especially when trying to decide who is responsible for other legal matters relating to the car, such as road tax.

Secondly, if you fail to update the DVLA when your car is sold, they may still hold you accountable for any road tax owed. Finally, in some cases, failing to return your V5C log book may result in hefty fines. Therefore, it is advisable to return a fully completed section 9 (or section 4 on newer documents) of the log book promptly.

Additional proof that you own the car

If you have lost your v5c and your car keys, we may need additional proof that the vehicle is yours and may request the original bill of sale. If there’s any doubt about you being the car’s owner, sometimes an HPI check will be carried out.

This is a complete vehicle history check which can uncover if a car has finance agreements attached to it, has been written off or even stolen. If the HPI check is deemed necessary, you will usually have to foot the bill.

In addition to the HPI check, we may also require proof of insurance and a valid MOT certificate. We understand that losing your car keys can be a stressful experience, but these measures are in place to ensure that the rightful owner is compensated. Thank you for your understanding.

Documents you will receive after scrapping your car.

Certificate of Destruction (COD)

The Certificate of Destruction is an essential document that proves you have had your car recycled legally and that ownership has passed to the ATF. This document, which is approved by the DVLA, provides peace of mind that there will be no potential issues with the DVLA believing you are still the owner of the vehicle and relieves you of all legal responsibility.

The COD also details that the car has been scrapped, so it is important to keep this safe as it is proof that you have taken responsibility for scrapping your car legally. You will receive the COD within seven days of scrapping the car, so it is important to keep an eye out for it in the post.

Confirming the sale of your car online

When you sell your vehicle, you need to inform the DVLA that you are no longer the registered keeper. This can be done either by post or online. If you have the 11 digit reference number from your lost V5C document, you’ll be able to tell the DVLA online that you’re scrapping your car using their online service.

You cannot use this service if you’ve already returned your V5C by post. Once you have told the DVLA that you have sold your car, they will send you a confirmation letter within 4 weeks. This letter will confirm the date that the sale was processed and confirm that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you do not receive this letter, please contact the DVLA.

What if an ATF won’t scrap my car without a logbook?

While some companies might not purchase a scrap vehicle online from you if you don’t have the vehicle registration document, we do. There is a legal requirement in the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 that requires scrap my car dealers to get a photo ID and proof of address from sellers, to ensure better traceability.

This means that dealers shouldn’t refuse to purchase a car just because the V5C is missing. If you’re scrapping your car without the logbook, it’ll be much simpler if you can provide a photo ID and utility bill instead. With this information and your car registration number, we should be able to complete your vehicle purchase without any issues.

Get a Free Scrap Car Quote

Call us today on 07944 495 495 for your free estimate
Scrap Cars London
Scrap 4x4s London
Scrap Vans London
Scrap Commercial Vehicles London