Home » How do i tell dvla i have scrapped my car

How do i tell dvla i have scrapped my car

how do i tell dvla i have scrapped my car

What to do if your vehicle is scrapped or written off?

The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) requires notification from the owner of a vehicle that has been scrapped or sold as scrap. The notification must be made within 4 weeks of scrapping or selling the vehicle. This article explains the procedures for telling dvla scrapped car.

Why Do I have to inform the DVLA when I scrap my car?

One of the requirements for scrapped cars is to notify the DVLA. There are a few reasons for this.

Firstly, there may be outstanding tax or duty to pay on the vehicle. If you fail to declare your vehicle in the ‘Offer for Sale’ section of your V5C log book, you may face a fine of up to £1,000 with additional penalties possible.

Secondly, informing the DVLA ensures that the vehicle is removed from the road and registered as scrapped, preventing it from being used illegally.

Finally, it allows the DVLA to update their records and avoid sending you any future correspondence relating to the vehicle.

So, while it may seem like an unnecessary step, informing the DVLA when you scrap your car is actually a legal requirement.

How do I notify DVLA that my car has been scrapped?

Notify DVLA Online

Notifying the DVLA about a vehicle that has been scrapped is simple and can be done entirely online. The website provides a clear and concise form that only requires a few pieces of information from the vehicle owner.

These include the name and address of the scrapyard or insurance company (if you have insurance write offs), the vehicle registration number, and the V5C logbook.

The 11-digit reference number from the V5 logbook is also required; this can be found in section four if the logbook was issued after April 2019 or section nine if it was issued before April 2019.

With these details entered into the form, the registered keeper can submit it and know that the DVLA has been properly notified about the vehicle’s status.

Inform DVLA By post

When you scrap your vehicle via a scrapping facility, you need to inform the DVLA by filling out section 4 of your vehicle registration document, known as the V5C logbook. If your vehicle was registered before April 2019, you’ll need to fill out section 9 of the logbook. You’ll need to include the name and address of the scrapyard. Once you’ve posted it, the DVLA will send you a confirmation letter within four weeks. You can find the DVLA’s address below.

SA99 1BA

What if I don’t have my V5C logbook?

If you don’t have your V5C you should notify the DVLA by recorded post. Please explain in your letter that you have transferred the vehicle to a scrap car dealer or authorised treatment facility – and include your name and address, the vehicle’s registration number and vehicle’s details, the sale date, and the name, address and vehicle registration postcode, and VAT company number of the scrap car dealer who collected your vehicle. You may not have information until collection time, so it’s worth printing or writing your letter first so you can just fill in the details such as the vat number when they become available.

The letter should be sent to:

SA99 1BD

Don’t order a new log book.

It’s not uncommon for people to be a little uncertain around the paperwork involved when scrapping a car. When a scrap yard buys a car, they may see this as an opportunity to make a little extra profit – offering to knock off the DVLA log book replacement fee from the sales price. Despite this, you should be aware that you don’t need to replace the logbook – as the vehicle will receive a new one when the DVLA is notified that the car has been sold. You can avoid getting ripped off by knowing this simple fact.

Does the DVLA notify me when they receive notification that I’ve scrapped my car?

The DVLA will notify you when they receive notification that you have scrapped your car. A letter will be sent to you saying you are no longer the legal owner of the vehicle. Please keep this letter for future reference. You may want to call the DVLA if you have not received this letter within four weeks of your first contact with them. You should also check your email inbox for a confirmation from the DVLA if you provided them with your email address.

When you cancel your vehicle tax, the DVLA will refund any whole months of road tax that you have left to pay and your direct debit will be cancelled. They calculate this from the day they receive your notice of cancellation. So, if you want to get a refund, it’s best to let them know of the exact date your car was scrapped as soon as possible. You can cancel your vehicle tax online, or by post.

Scrapping your car can be a stressful process, but with our team, it doesn’t have to be! We’ll take care of everything for you so that you can rest assured your car is being disposed of in a legal and responsible way. We’ll sort out the Certificate of Destruction and contact the DVLA on your behalf- all you need to do is sit back and relax. So why wait? Get in touch with us today to scrap your car and get instant cash.


Choose scrap car kings

If you’re thinking “should I  scrap my car”  or dont’ know “Is it better to scrap a car or sell it?” then look no further than Scrap Car Kings. We’ll offer you an instant quote and pay you cash for your old car. We provide a hassle-free service and can even collect your car for free. So if you’re looking to get rid of your old car, then contact us today and we’ll take care of everything for you. Thank you for choosing Scrap Car Kings.

Get Quotation

Call us today on 07944 495 495 for your free estimate
Scrap Cars London
Scrap 4x4s London
Scrap Vans London
Scrap Commercial Vehicles London