Do I need to sorn to scrap my car

do I need to sorn to scrap my car (1)

Scrapping a vehicle is a process where the car is dismantled and the parts are sold for recycling.  If you remove parts of the vehicle before scrapping it, you will need to notify the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). So, in answer to the question ‘do you need a SORN to scrap a car’, the answer is yes – but only if you plan on removing parts of the vehicle before scrapping it.

What is a sorn car

The Statutory Off Road Notification, or SORN, is a designation given to vehicles that are exempt from road tax because they are being kept off the road on private land. While you can cancel your car insurance when you sorn a car, it must be registered with the DVLA and the owner must notify the DVLA if the vehicle is sold or scrapped. If a SORN car is found on a public road, the owner may be subject to a fine. In addition, if a SORN vehicle is involved in an accident, the owner may be liable for any damages that occur. As a result, it is important for owners of a SORN vehicle to be aware of their responsibility to keep their vehicles off public roads.

A SORN is required by the DVLA for vehicles that:

No longer have road tax and has off road status

Are kept off the road by their owners

Have invalid insurance

Before they are scrapped for parts

How to sorn my scrap car

To tell the DVLA you’re taking your vehicle off the road, you can fill in the apply to sorn your car form . Once you’ve declared a SORN, the sorn status lasts for 12 months and starts from the date you make the declaration. You can renew it after 12 months, as long as your car is still off the road. If you want to put your car back on the road during that time, you’ll need to pay for vehicle tax and insurance first.

If you are planning to scrap your car using our scrap a car service you do not need to sorn your car. You will transfer ownership to us using your V5 vehicle registration document. You only need to SORN your car before scrapping the vehicle if you remove parts to sell or hold onto. Once the car has been scrapped, you will be issued a Certificate of Destruction which means that the vehicle can no longer be driven. If you sell your vehicle for scrap and you do not have a SORN in place or the vehicle is not transferred to the scrap car dealer, if that car is found on the highway, you could face prosecution for abandoning the vehicle.

If you have a V5 registration document, also known as a logbook, you can follow these simple instructions to scrap your vehicle. Find the 11-digit reference number on the yellow part of your registration document and fill in the scrap car dealer’s details in that section. This section is labelled “Transferring or selling your vehicle”. After this section has been completed, simply post it to the DVLA. Our scrap car team will handle all of the processes for you from filling out the v5 document to notifying the DVLA

If you are about to go through the scrapping process and no longer have the V5 certificate, you can notify the DVLA in one of two ways. You can either apply for a replacement certificate or simply contact the DVLA after scrapping takes place. When contacting the DVLA, be sure to include the registration, model and make of the vehicle as well as the exact date the transaction took place. Also, be sure to include the name and address of the scrap yard. Failure to include any of these details in your notification will cause it to be rejected and potentially make you liable for a fine of £1000, so be sure to double-check for any omissions before sending.

Can you drive a SORN car to a scrap car dealer?

A SORN, or Statutory Off Road Notification, is a document that you can apply for from the DVLA if you declare that you will not be driving your vehicle on public roads. Once you have a SORN in place, it is illegal to drive the vehicle on public roads, unless you are taking it to a pre-booked MOT test. If you are caught driving a vehicle with a SORN, you may be liable for a fine of up to £2,500. In addition, if your vehicle is involved in an accident while uninsured, you may be liable for the damages. As such, it is important to be aware of the consequences of driving a SORN car before deciding to do so.

When you’ve decided to legally scrap your car, there are a few things you need to do first. If you’ve removed any parts from the car, you need to acquire a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You also can’t drive the car to the ATF (Authorised Treatment Facility) – you’ll need to arrange for a collection service. The ATF will then take your car to be scrapped. The cost of this is accounted for in your final payment, but it’s always cheaper than risking a fine. To ensure you get the best value for your car, always choose a scrap yard that’s close to its location. The distance the scrap dealer has to cover will affect the price, so a shorter distance for legal transportation means a better value for your vehicle. Scrapping your car doesn’t have to be complicated – just follow these simple steps and you’ll be getting rid of it in no time.

Do I need insurance if I SORN my car?

If you use your vehicle on roads and in public places, you must have motor insurance for it. If you don’t, you could get a fixed penalty of £100, have your vehicle wheel-clamped or impounded, or face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000. You will also still have to pay for your insurance on top of any fines received. If you’re keeping your vehicle off the road, you can declare it as off the road (SORN) and apply for car insurance cancellation. This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’ and the car will be reflected as such on the motor insurance database.

Can I scrap my car without having to drive it anywhere?

Scrap Car Kings is committed to providing our customers with the best possible service. We understand that getting your car scrapped can be a hassle, which is why we offer free scrap car collection as part of our service. We will work with you to find a time and place that is convenient for you, and then send one of our dedicated collection vehicles to pick up your car. We also offer an instant online quote so that you can get an idea of how much your car is worth. Scrap Car Kings is the best way to get rid of your unwanted car, and we are always available to answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to get started!

Sorn a scrap car FAQ

Can I notify DVLA online that I have scrapped my car?

When you sell your vehicle to a scrap car dealer, they can notify the DVLA of the sale electronically – just give them the V5C registration certificate and ask them to use the online service. You can also inform the DVLA that you have scrapped your car by going online or through the post. All you need is either the vehicle’s registration number or its 11-digit reference number from the V5C, as well as the name and address of the scrapyard. Once you have this information, simply follow the instructions on the website or fill out the required forms and send them in. The DVLA will then update their records accordingly. In either case, it is important to let the DVLA know as soon as possible so that we can keep our records up to date.

How do I notify the DVLA of scrapping my vehicle?

You can tell the DVLA that your car is being scrapped, on their website or by post.

Online – If you would like to notify the DVLA on their website, you will need the name and address of the scrapyard, your V5C logbook number and your vehicle’s details such as vehicle registration number.

It will require an 11-digit reference number which you will find in section four if your logbook was issued after April 2019, or in section nine if it was issued before April 2019.

Fill out the form and the DVLA will now know your car has been scrapped.

By post – To notify the DVLA by post you will need the name and address of the scrapyard and the vehicle registration number. DVLA recommends that you complete section 4 of your V5 logbook, or section 9 if your V5 dates from before April 2019. The address is:

SA99 1BA

You should obtain a receipt from the DVLA to confirm that everything has been taken care of for you.

How much does it cost to SORN my car?

It’s free to SORN a car. You can do it online at the government’s website, by phone or by post. To declare a SORN online, you need either: The 16-digit reference number on your tax renewal letter (this is the V11).

If you don’t have this, you can find it by logging into your personal account on the DVLA website. Once you’ve declared a SORN, it lasts for 12 months and starts from the date you make the declaration.

You can renew it after 12 months, as long as your car is still off the road. If you want to put your car back on the road during that time, you’ll need to pay for vehicle tax and insurance first. If you have any questions about SORN or how to declare it, you can contact the DVLA for more information.

What documents do I need to scrap my car?

Before we can scrap your car, we must first verify your identity and perform a few checks. Documents required are:

  • A valid driver’s license or passport.
  • The vehicle’s logbook (V5C).
  • A service/MOT history is desirable

Call us today on 07944 495 495 for your free estimate
Scrap Cars London
Scrap 4x4s London
Scrap Vans London
Scrap Commercial Vehicles London